¿QUIEN SOY?

Barcelona, Catalunya, Spain
Soy de Buffalo. Asisto la Universidad Católica de América en Washington, DC. Estudio la arquitectura. Estudio en Barcelona este semestre.

Friday, February 23, 2007

BARCELONA to WEEZE to OSNABRUK

We are in Germany now. (We cannot believe that we made it). We got off to a rough start though (when I say we, I mean me). First off, we had to get up early this morning and Tom had a very difficult time waking me up. He had to shove a pillow in my face in order to wake me up. I packed up my bookbag real quick, brushed my teeth and then we were out the door. As we were leaving, Meg asked if I had my passport, and I reached my hand in my bookbag and felt it (foreshadowing).

We made it to the bus station near the Arc de Triumph by 7 am. We bought tickets for the bus to the Girona airport and got on the 7 30 bus. By 7 35, I was asleep. Apparently I was snoring and the lady next to me kept on staring at me. Meg said she thinks that the lady was looking at me because she thought her stare would make me stop snoring. I don't think it worked (Sorry woman who I will never see again...at least I wasn't talking loud like those people that kept Meg up on the bus ride.) We got to the Girona airport and stood in line to check in. When I reached for my passport, I pulled out my address book instead. I could not believe it. I told the lady at the check in that I forgot my passport and she told me there was no way I could fly. Tom and Meg checked in and then distracted the security guards. I snuck behind the security checkpoint and made it to our gate. Wait, what? Who said that? Tom and Meg checked in and then we went to the information desk to see if I could get a flight to Germany some time that weekend and they could pick me up at the airport or something. While we were waiting in line, I checked my bag again and found my passport. I accidentally put it in a different pocket than I usually do. It was in the change pocket instead of in the electronics pocket. Silly passport. So Meg told me to look her in the eyes and tell her that I would never do that again. I felt very stupid. I thanked St. Anthony and then went and checked in. I went to the same lady that told me I needed a passport and she looked very surpirsed to see me again. I told her that I found a passport and she smiled. She said "very good" and then checked me in.

We went to our gate and sat down for a few minutes. Tom and I talked about growing up in the US and I said I am glad I grew up in the US but could see myself living in other places. We then boarded the plane and I fell asleep for the first hour of the flight. The second hour I read the travel guide book about Germany and got very excited. When we got off the plane we walked into the quietest airport we had ever been in. It was like a ghost town in the Weeze Airport. We got the keys for our car and bought a road map. We went to the parking lot and found OUR car. We piled into that beautiful vehicle and hit the road at around 1 30 pm. Meg drove and we got onto the Autobahn and drove really really fast. Actually not. It was just like a regular highway and most people were going about 60-70 mph. We stopped for lunch at a very nice diner where everyone was blonde and had blue eyes...(welcome to Germany).

We drove into Osnabruk and parked the car in a lot that was near where the hostel was. We got out of the car and walked to the hostel which is just inside the city. We checked into the hostel and then headed out to explore the city. We stopped in an internet cafe because we wanted to send some emails to people and let them know we somehow made it to Germany and drove to Osnabruck by ourselves.

Meg, Tom and I walked thorugh Osnabruk after it got dark. We walked from one end of the city to the other and then back again. It wasn't a very big city but it was amazing to walk through. We walked down the main street but all the shops were closing up as we were walking by so there wasn't a lot of people. We got to see most of the city, except for the university section. We stopped at a pizzeria and got a pizza to go and ate in our room at the hostel. After dinner, we got EIGHT hours of sleep which felt amazing.

No comments: